2000 Max Capacity 0 Pax 500 Garages Print

Ippodromo di Milano

Horse-racing in Corso Buenos Aires. What today would sound absurd, was reality in 1807. In fact, where people now go for their shopping, two centuries ago the noblemen of the city challenged one another in the first races. The Milanese countryside spread just outside the city and offered its open spaces to a highly increasing passion. In 1842 was established the first horse-racing association in Lombardy, as brand of the “Circolo dell’Unione”. The races took place on a track in “Piazza d’Armi”, the square behind the “Castello Sforzesco”.
At the end of the century the first harness racing races took place in Piazza Andrea Doria; it was time for Milan to have a proper racecourse.
In 1886 it was decided to build the racecourse on the vast green areas of San Siro. The project was entrusted to the Engineer Giulio Valerio, and after almost three years of intense work San Siro Racecourse, the temple of Milanese horse-racing, was finally born.
It was May, 1888.
Since then it has been a crescendo of successes. In order to manage an increasingly activity, the SIRE, the Italian Association for Encouragement of Horse Breeds was established in 1919.
Further areas were added to build training tracks and stables.
In 1920 the new thoroughbred racecourse, designed by architect Paolo Vietti Violi, and five years later, in 1925, the harness racing racecourse were opened.

Map